|Although this article is based on canonical information, the actual name of this subject is conjectural.|
- “In my world, there are people in chains and we can ride them like ponies.”
- ―Willow Rosenberg of the Wishverse[src]
The Wishverse was an alternate timeline created by Anyanka after Cordelia Chase wished Buffy Summers had never moved to Sunnydale. It was referred to as Bizarro Land by Cordelia and as Bizarro World.
In this new reality, while Angel and Rupert Giles did move to Sunnydale, Buffy Summers did not, so there was no one capable of preventing the Harvest. Thus, the Master succeeded in escaping from his mystical prison. However, the Master seemingly chose not to unleash hell on Earth, and instead decided to have his acolytes take over the town.
With the Master free and no Slayer present to oppose him, the Order of Aurelius successfully overran and took over Sunnydale. In the process of conquering the town, Angel, considered a traitor, was captured and imprisoned, while others were killed or turned into vampires. Willow Rosenberg and Xander Harris were sired and took the place of Darla and Luke as the Master's leading acolytes. In order to keep the vampires in check, Giles formed a team of vampire hunters formed by Larry Blaisdell, Oz and Nancy. However, they had little resources and abilities to actually affect the Order, who dubbed them the White Hats, and the Master considered them to be a minor nuisance and intended to deal with Giles at some point.
Meanwhile, after the fire in Hemery High's Gym, Buffy and her mother moved to Cleveland, where she met her new Watcher. However, this Watcher had no control over the actions of the Slayer, who, through the years, developed a tough, grim personality similar to Faith Lehane, shunning friends or family, living only to slay, like Kendra Young.
When Cordelia found herself in this timeline, after learning what had become of Sunnydale in Buffy's absence, she managed to make contact with the White Hats and explain to Giles at least some details of what had happened. However, she was killed by Xander and Willow before she could give too much detail. As the Master began preparations to open a blood factory that would make feeding far easier, turning humans into little more than food, Giles contacted Cleveland and had Buffy sent down to provide assistance, although Buffy showed little interest in his talk of another world. Freeing Angel from his bonds to provide her with aid in the assault, although she only believed that Angel wanted the Master dead for torturing him rather than that he was willing to help her, Buffy attacked the factory, staking Xander, and allowing Oz to kill Willow, although Angel was staked by Xander and Buffy's neck was subsequently broken by the Master and she died. This shows that even in an alternative universe the Pergamum Codex will always come to pass.
Realizing that destroying the amulet would negate Cordelia's original wish, Giles performed a risky ritual to summon Anyanka, subsequently removing her amulet. As Anyanka asked him how he could be so certain that the other world was any better than this one, Giles grimly stated, "because it has to be" and shattered the amulet, erasing the timeline and all its consequences from existence (except for the continued destruction of Anyanka's amulet and loss of power).
Anya later attempted to reach into the past when this world existed to retrieve her amulet, but this effort only drew the vampire version of Willow into the 'real' timeline from a point just before her demise. The doppelganger made a brief effort to re-establish her world before consenting to be returned to her timeline, finding this world to be no fun, but she was swiftly staked upon returning to her world and the timeline unfolded as before.
Differences from original timeline
- Sunnydale High School was lightly populated (with humans), held monthly memorials for people killed by vampires, held a "Winter Brunch" (presumably in lieu of a dance), and students weren't allowed to drive cars.
- The remaining human inhabitants of Sunnydale wore dimly colored clothing, as it was believed vampires were attracted to the bright and revealing clothing.
- A curfew for all townsfolk was set right after school hours.
- Xander Harris and Willow Rosenberg are vampires.
- Larry Blaisdell has possibly not come out of the closet yet, because his confrontation with Xander in "Phases" never happened.
- Rupert Giles and Jenny Calendar presumably never met, because Jenny would have never come to Sunnydale to keep Angel and Buffy apart.
- Buffy Summers died facing the Master; however, unlike in the original timeline, she wasn’t revived. It is assumed Kendra Young was called upon as the next Slayer, as she was in the original timeline.
- It is unknown what happened to Richard Wilkins — but it is presumed that The Master killed him to reign undivided on Sunnydale.
- Unlike their original timeline counterparts, The Master, Larry and Giles never died. It is worth noting, however, that Larry and Giles were still alive in the original timeline at the point the Wishverse ceased to exist and Larry dies later.
- Buffy Summers
- Rupert Giles
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
- Larry Blaisdell
- Harmony Kendall
- The Master
- John Lee Walker
- Unidentified cordette
- Faith Lehane (Possibly)
- Richard Wilkins (Possibly)
|The Wishverse article has a Photo Gallery.|
- ↑ Slayer: An Unofficial and Unauthorized Guide to Buffy the Vampire Slayer by Keith Topping