|Season 2, Episode 4|
|Air date||October 17, 2000|
|Written by||Mere Smith|
|Directed by||Joss Whedon|
A vision from Cordelia leads Angel to Bethany Chaulk, a runaway teenage girl who possesses uncontrollable telekinetic powers. But Angel is unaware that Bethany is being groomed by Lilah to be an assassin for Wolfram & Hart's Execution Department. Bethany was sexually abused by her father, and Lilah brings him to Los Angeles in order to cause Bethany to freak out and do something rash that will put her into Wolfram & Hart's power forever. Meanwhile, Darla continues to plague Angel's dreams in in her efforts to seduce him into being under her influence.
Lilah sneaks into Lindsey's office to rifle though his papers, but Darla is there. Darla reveals she has been using a drug called Calynthia powder to keep Angel asleep while she manipulates his dreams. Angel wakes to find Cordelia and Wesley bickering about whether they should offer to pay Gunn. Angel and Wesley begin to discuss the increasing number of hours Angel spends asleep, but Cordelia suddenly gets a vision that sends Angel out to save a young girl from two potential rapists. As two men are about to attack the girl, she telekinetically slides a dumpster across the alleyway and crushes them between it and a wall.
At the crime scene, Angel pretends to be a detective in order to get information about the crime from an officer. He wanders inside an old building and finds the young girl from the alley. Panicked, she sends a rebar through Angel's chest, although upon realizing that she didn't kill him, she calms down a bit. She and Angel talk a bit, and he gives her his card and an offer of help. The girl returns to the apartment where she is staying, and it is revealed that she is staying with Lilah. Gunn stops by Angel Investigations to offer his help and Angel sends him out to find information on the men Bethany killed.
As Bethany drifts off to sleep, she dreams of her abusive childhood and unconsciously sends a bedside lamp flying. It hits Lilah, who had been watching her fitful sleep. Bethany seeks Angel's help and they discuss her lack of control over her telekinetic powers. At W & H, Holland and Lilah talk about Bethany, who Lilah discovered, and has been grooming (unbeknownst to Bethany) to become an assassin for Wolfram & Hart. Holland stresses that if Lilah's work with Bethany is unsuccessful it could damage their other projects. As Angel talks to Bethany, Wesley deducts her powers have arisen from having been sexually abused by her father. He then pointedly mentions her father, which causes her to lose control and hurl he and Angel through the air.
That night, Bethany finds Angel in his bed and she offers herself to him, as the abuse she has suffered has led her to believe that she is just an object for men's amusement. He declines, and after they talk, he sends her back to her own bed. After Angel helps Bethany work to control her power, he meets Gunn at one of the potential rapists' apartment. He brings up the payment idea and Gunn agrees, meaning that Gunn is now officially part of Angel Investigations. They find evidence that someone paid for the attack on Bethany.
Cordelia talks to Bethany over coffee, trying to convince her that she is no longer just a victim, that she has great power and she can choose how to use that power, and her choices so far have not been good ones. Then, Wolfram & Hart's men arrive and kidnap Bethany. Angel and Gunn go after the men and Angel is able to get Bethany back from them. W & H decide to increase the pressure and they send Bethany's father to intercept her. This causes her to blindly panic and she lets out a blast of telekinetic power. All of the windows in the loft explode, and both Angel and Cordelia Chase are thrown backwards. She hurls her father out a window, seemingly to his death, but just before he hits the ground, she remembers Angel and Cordelia's teachings and chooses to not kill her father. Later, she packs up her things in the apartment while Lilah and Angel have a chat at the door. Angel comments that Lilah needs to find someone else's mind to play with, and as he leaves with Bethany, Lilah mutters that they already have, referring to him and Darla.
- David Boreanaz as Angel
- Charisma Carpenter as Cordelia Chase
- Alexis Denisof as Wesley Wyndam-Pryce
- J. August Richards as Charles Gunn
- Stephanie Romanov as Lilah Morgan
- Sam Anderson as Holland Manners
- Daisy McCrackin as Bethany Chaulk
- Gareth Williams as Mr. Chaulk
- Julie Benz as Darla
- David J. Miller as Man #1
- Drew Wicks as Uniform Officer
- Michael Harte as Detective
- Madison Eginton as Young Bethany
Goofs, Bloopers & Continuity Errors
- When Bethany is confronting her father in the hotel, we initially see Angel lying on the ground behind her father, as seen over Bethany's shoulder. In the next two shots from this angle, Angel is standing up, clearly pinned against the wall. Moments later, however, Angel is lying on the ground again, then stands up and is pinned against the wall by Bethany's power.
- Gunn officially joins Angel Investigations in this episode.
- Cordelia refers to the Buffy episode "Lovers Walk" when she was impaled by a bar.
- The dream Darla is giving Angel is of his murder of a gypsy girl. Though not explicitly stated, this is likely supposed to be the same event shown in flashback in "Five by Five", the turning point in Angel's life, although the dream sequence does not match exactly with the flashback. The aftermath of this event is shown in the Buffy episode "Becoming, Part One" — the gypsy girl's family curses Angel by restoring his soul.