|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Willow's trying to earn a little pocket change by taking the usual teenage part-time job — baby-sitting the neighbor's kid. But her child-care chores turn into a scene from a horror movie when the baby gives her the evil eye and attacks.
Barely saved from the tiny terror by Cordelia, Willow can't forget the missing human child — or the monstrous thing left in its place. The childish changeling keeps coming back to haunt and taunt her. Buffy and her posse soon discover a possible connection between Willow's infant interloper and some strange artifacts Giles found at a local archaeological dig.
The evil plaguing Willow was once trapped underground. Now that it has been unearthed by new construction on the property, it's ready to cause some major mischief… and worse.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The story takes place during Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Cordelia Chase
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Daniel Osbourne
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
- This was the first Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel to not feature Sarah Michelle Gellar on the cover.
- The cover for the Russian edition features an illustration by S. Vlasov.
International titles[edit | edit source]
- Dutch: Kwaadaardige Sprookjeswezens (Evil Fairytale Creatures)
- French: Sélection par le Vide (Empty Selection)
- German: Willow und das Monsterbaby (Willow and the Monster Baby)
- Russian: Неестественный отбор (Unnatural Selection)