| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
Ugly Little Monsters, Part One is the fortieth issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. Written by Tom Fassbender and Jim Pascoe, and illustrated by Cliff Richards, it was originally published on December 26, 2001 by Dark Horse Comics.
Buffy's mom is dead. Emotions in the Scooby gang are running high, and lots of little things are causing lots of little problems. Somehow, the fight against the forces of darkness doesn't seem so crucial, anymore. Somebody should have told that to the three deformed, green demon-children that decide to drop by Buffy's house unannounced.
- The story takes place after Joyce's funeral, in "Forever".
- Willow and Anya fight about their differences and cause a magical accident, as happened in "Triangle".
- Willow mentions the revoke invitation ritual she performed in "Crush" against Spike.
- Buffy says it wouldn't be the first time a demon had invaded her house, as more recently happened in "Listening to Fear".
- Coma (Only mentioned)
- Xander Harris
- Rupert Giles
- Anya Jenkins
- Tara Maclay
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Dawn Summers
- Joyce Summers (Only mentioned)
Organizations and titles
Weapons and objects
Rituals and spells
- Revoke invitation ritual (Only mentioned)
- Unidentified vampire, staked by Buffy Summers.
Behind the scenes
- Scott Allie has described: "[Ugly Little Monsters] was partly concocted over a dinner at the San Diego Comic-Con, with Tom Fassbender, Jim Pascoe, Dave McCaig, Jeff Matsuda, and Brian Horton all present. We became fixated with the number three, leading to a three-issue story with a three-word title, Ugly Little Monsters. Interior pages had three panels, triangular compositions, and triadic color schemes. Covers featured three main characters, as well as the three little uglies."
- The photo cover features promotional pictures taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5.
- As a cameo, Buffy reads the comic The Worst of It from the Fray series.
- Ugly Little Monsters, Part One was the 113th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 16,373 sales in December 2001 at comic specialty stores.
- "Ugly Little Monsters"
- "Omnibus: Volume 7"
- "Classic 42: Night of a Thousand Vampires / Ugly Little Monsters"