|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
The Hollower, Part One is the first issue of Angel: The Hollower comic book miniseries. Written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Hector Gomez, it was originally published on May 12, 1999 by Dark Horse Comics.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Angelus, the hunky, wildly popular vampire squeeze of Buffy Summers is now sporting his own three-issue series! Follow Angel as he trails an ancient horror, straight from his own adventures in Europe to present-day Sunnydale. Will he be strong enough to overcome the monster's unique powers? Find out in this summer's hottest new series, straight from the adventures of Buffy the Vampire Slayer!
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Buffy mentions the demon she's fighting ugly even for a chaos demon; Spike had described this species as disgusting in "Lovers Walk."
- Buffy mentions she prefers spending the night with Angel in a school dance or with a dinner and a movie, which they'll do in episodes "The Prom" and "Enemies."
- Angel is described as being "nearly a quarter of a millennium old"; born in 1727, he was about 272 years old in 1999.
- Angel is also described as being cursed twice, his second time in episode "Becoming, Part Two."
- The Hollower is described as the only natural predator vampires have other than the Slayer; the novel "The Wisdom of War" explores the Moruach species, vampires' ancestral predators, although both publications non-canon.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Catherine DeLancie
- Drusilla (Only in flashbacks)
- Rupert Giles
- Johnny Lee
- Spike (Only in flashbacks)
- Buffy Summers
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- San Francisco, USA
- Sunnydale, USA
- Vienna, Austria-Hungary (Only in flashbacks)
Objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- An unidentified man, bitten by Catherine DeLancie.
- An unidentified woman, bitten by Johnny Lee.
- Johnny Lee, eaten by the Hollower.
- The chaos demon, stabbed by Buffy Summers.
- Unidentified woman, bitten by Spike (only in flashbacks).
- Unidentified woman, bitten by Catherine (only in flashbacks).
- Unidentified man, bitten by Angel (only in flashbacks).
- Gavin, staked by Angel.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- Published even before the homonym television show, it's considered the first Angel comic issue, although still a Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic publication.
- Artist Jeff Matsuda debuts as cover illustrator in Buffyverse comics.
- The photo cover includes a promotional picture for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season three.
- Differently from other representations, at this point the comic issues had vampires also able to transform into green creatures with red eyes, pointy ears, a wide mouth, and long teeth. Although, this seems more like an artistic choice, not having direct consequence to the stories.
- A gravestone written "Nelson Kent — Accepted his fate" is a reference to fictional superhero Doctor Fate.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- The Hollower, Part One was the 54th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 42,948 sales in May 1999 at comic specialty stores.