| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
Just in time for Halloween, this dark and creepy issue finds its way to the comics store shelf! In part one of the two-part “The Heart of the Slayer,” Buffy is being stalked by a creature intent on killing her so that it can bring about the end of the world. So what else is new? The only person who can save her is a Slayer who should have died a long time ago. Confused? Well, so are Buffy and the gang. Special guest writer Chris Boal joins the acclaimed Buffy art team of Cliff Richards and Joe Pimentel to bring you this nasty little tale. Be afraid!
- Adja and the Karfarnaum jump in time to the years of 1840, 1976, and 2000.
- Staying with Riley, Buffy arrives late to meet Willow and Xander at The Bronze, something she had already done in episode "The I in Team".
- Buffy and Riley are in a relationship, as they’ve began in "Doomed".
Organizations and titles
Weapons and objects
- Unidentified man, impaled by Karfarnaum in 1976.
- Jim, impaled by Karfarnaum in 2000.
Behind the scenes
- The main cover features Buffy surrounded by previous notable Big Bads: Angelus (with a victim), the Master, Lothos, Selke, and San Sui.
- The photo cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 4.
- In the month of this issue’s publication, Dark Horse Comics launched a three-month promotion called “Autumnals”, which editor Scott Allie explained as “turning Buffy into more of a horror comic.”
- The Heart of a Slayer, Part One was the 98th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 21,309 sales in October 2000 at comic specialty stores.
Pop culture references
- A man in 1976 mentions singer, songwriter, and actor David Bowie.
- Buffy quotes “We’re gonna need a bigger boat,” from the movie Jaws (1975).