The Great Escape is the ninth issue of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season Eleven comic book series. It was written by Christos Gage and illustrated by Georges Jeanty. Joss Whedon is the executive producer.
The great escape is underway as Buffy, Faith, and Willow infiltrate headquarters at the Safe Zone. Everything and everyone they expected to stop their mission is in the way. The question is, can two powerless girls and one Slayer succeed with these ridiculous odds? Elsewhere: unexpected vampire complications…
- Buffy and Willow have their magic restored, after having it absorbed in issue Disempowered.
- Faith asks if Buffy and Spike were still together, she had previously expressed her knowledge of their relationship in Those Who Can't Teach, Teach Gym, Part Three.
- Vicki had been last seen forming an accord with Buffy against D'Hoffryn, in Own It, Part Three.
- Alexander Harris
- Faith Lehane
- Malloy (Only mentioned)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Dawn Summers
- Joanna Wise
Organization and titlesEdit
- Austin, Texas
- Dolan Springs, Arizona
- Safe Zone, Arizona
- San Francisco, California
- Santa Fe, New Mexico
Weapons and objectsEdit
Rituals and spellsEdit
- Unknown number of demons, vampires, and humans, battling in the Safe Zone.
- The entire Dolan Springs population (2,000 people).
- 24 soldiers and slayers protecting the city.
Behind the scenesEdit
- The variant cover features a “deleted scene” from the issue, written by Christos Gage and illustrated by Georges Jeanty.
Pop culture referencesEdit
- Faith mentions “Jedi mind trick” from the Star Wars franchise.
- Vicki mentions “smallpox in blankets”, remembering the biological warfare against Native Americans.
- The Great Escape was among the 300 best selling comic issues in its publication month, with 10,195 sales in July 2017 at comic specialty stores.
- Congress Avenue Bridge is indeed home to the world’s largest urban bat colony, but, contrary to the Buffyverse, they are Mexican free-tailed bats instead of new vampires under shapeshifting.