|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
The Blood of Carthage, Part One is the twenty-first issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. It was written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Cliff Richards and Chynna Clugston.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Continuity
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Death count
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 References
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Buffy #21 kicks off the five-part Blood of Carthage story arc. In a town like Sunnydale, you can bet the local "boogeyman" legend ain't just hot air. But killing it is a LOT more trouble than it's worth.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Buffy and Willow are already attending UC Sunnydale, which they began in "The Freshman".
- Buffy reunites with Felicia, and asks if she still works at the Popsicle Parlor (White Christmas).
- Willow recalls Joe Burgess wanting to kill Xander (Stinger).
- The flashbacks take place in the year 1989.
- Buffy reunites with Tergazzi, who she met in the novel "Immortal".
- Buffy recalls the last time she saw Brad, in The Food Chain.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Scipio Armilianus
- Joe Burgess
- Mrs. Caulfield (Only mentioned)
- Brad Caulfield
- Rupert Giles
- Xander Harris
- Sheila Rosenberg (Only in flashbacks)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Vraka (Only mentioned)
- Xerxes the Blind
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Weapons and objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Unknown number of vampires and demons, killed by Xerxes the Blind (only mentioned).
- Scipio, beheaded by Buffy Summers.
- Brad Caulfield, killed by Xerxes (only mentioned).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The photo cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 4.
- Two covers exclusive for Dynamic Forces were released, with artwork by Chrisian Zanier, in red or gold foil.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- The Blood of Carthage, Part One was the 99th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 25,475 sales in May 2000 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Buffy mentions the Jellystone Park from The Yogi Bear Show (1961).
- Xander played as a child that he was like the fictional character Indiana Jones, and quotes the tagline for the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).
- Sheila mentions fictional characters Tarzan and Jane Porter.
- Buffy jokes about Brad playing the game Twister with the forces of darkness.
- Xander wore as a child a shirt of the Transformers franchise (1984).
- Xander and Willow played as a child with Barbie, Skipper, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls and G.I. Joe action figures.
- Xander compared he and Willow as children to fictional superhero duo Batman and Robin.