|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
The Blood of Carthage, Part One is the twenty-first issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. Written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Cliff Richards with Chynna Clugston, it was originally published on May 31, 2000 by Dark Horse Comics.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Buffy #21 kicks off the five-part Blood of Carthage story arc. In a town like Sunnydale, you can bet the local "boogeyman" legend ain't just hot air. But killing it is a LOT more trouble than it's worth.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Buffy and Willow are attending UC Sunnydale, which they began in "The Freshman."
- Buffy reunites with Felicia and asks if she still works at the Popsicle Parlor (White Christmas).
- Willow recalls Joe Burgess wanting to kill Xander (Stinger).
- The flashbacks take place in the year 1989.
- Buffy reunites with Tergazzi, who she met in the novel Immortal.
- Buffy recalls the last time she saw Brad, in The Food Chain.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Scipio Armilianus
- Joe Burgess
- Mrs. Caulfield (Only mentioned)
- Brad Caulfield
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Sheila Rosenberg (Only in flashbacks)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Vraka (Only mentioned)
- Xerxes the Blind
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Unknown number of vampires and demons, killed by Xerxes the Blind (only mentioned).
- Scipio, beheaded by Buffy Summers.
- Brad Caulfield, killed by Xerxes (only mentioned).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The photo cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 4.
- Two covers exclusive for Dynamic Forces were released, with artwork by Christian Zanier, in red or gold foil.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- The Blood of Carthage, Part One was the 99th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 25,475 sales in May 2000 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
- The Blood of Carthage
- Omnibus, Volume 5
- Classic 31: The Blood of Carthage
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Legacy Edition, Book 3
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Buffy mentions the Jellystone Park from The Yogi Bear Show (1961).
- Xander played as a child that he was like the fictional character Indiana Jones, and quotes the tagline for the film Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984).
- Sheila mentions fictional characters Tarzan and Jane Porter.
- Buffy jokes about Brad playing the game Twister with the forces of darkness.
- Xander wore as a child a shirt of the Transformers franchise (1984).
- Xander and Willow played as a child with Barbie, Skipper, and Strawberry Shortcake dolls and G.I. Joe action figures.
- Xander compared he and Willow as children to fictional superhero duo Batman and Robin.