|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
The Blood of Carthage, Part Four is the twenty-fourth issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. It was written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Cliff Richards, Paul Lee, and Brian Horton. It was originally published on August 30, 2000 by Dark Horse Comics.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
In this penultimate issue of "The Blood of Carthage," the unthinkable occurs. With the rise of the demon Ky-Laag imminent, Buffy and the Scooby Gang must form an unholy alliance with the Blood of Carthage — a mysterious cult of demons — to prevent Ky-Laag from devastating Sunnydale and perhaps the world! And why would the Blood of Carthage want to stop a demon from rising? And for that matter, why would vampire creep Spike want to play peacemaker between Buffy and the demon Vraka?
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Spike recalls he was once tied to Giles's chair and shot by arrows ("Pangs").
- A boy in the airplane compares Hiram to Hooligans, the popular toys in The Latest Craze.
- After using it in The Blood of Carthage, Part Five, Giles will return the Eye of Persia to the Watchers Council, as he claims in Giles: Beyond the Pale.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Scipio Armilianus (Only mentioned)
- Drusilla (Only in flashbacks)
- Rupert Giles
- Xander Harris
- Anya Jenkins
- Ky-Laag (Only mentioned)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Xerxes the Blind
- Xiu's twin sister (Only in flashbacks)
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
- Blood of Carthage
- Higher being (Only mentioned)
- Old One (Only mentioned)
- Scooby Gang
- Sunnydale Police Department
- Watchers Council
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- New York City, USA
- Sunnydale, USA
- Venice, Italy (Only in flashbacks)
Objects[edit | edit source]
- Daggers of Khartun (Only mentioned)
- Eye of Persia
- Spells of Hammurabi (Only mentioned)
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Unidentified Astrides demon, bitten by Drusilla (in flashback).
- Unidentified demon, head smashed by Vraka.
- Unidentified demon, stabbed by Buffy.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The photo cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 4.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- The Blood of Carthage, Part Four was the 161st best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 12,787 sales in August 2000 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Anya talks about using the erotic book Kama Sutra.
- Xander mentions he and Willow used to be the Dynamic Duo, a term used in reference to fictional characters Batman and Robin.
- The binding ritual mentions the Greek gods Pan and Hecate, as well as the biblical figures of Barabbas and Satan.
Goofs[edit | edit source]
- The Espresso Pump coffee shop has its signs wrongly illustrated as "Expresso".