|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
The Blood of Carthage, Part Five is the twenty-fifth issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. It was written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Cliff Richards, Paul Lee, Brian Horton, and Chynna Clugston.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Continuity
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Death count
- 5 Behind the scenes
- 6 Gallery
- 7 Quotes
- 8 References
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
The conclusion to "Blood of Carthage" is so big, we had to add four extra pages to tell it all! The questions that have been building since issue #21 will finally be answered. Learn the secret history between the demons Vraka and Ky-Laag, and what it means to the Scooby Gang. And Buffy must deal with the aftermath of allying herself with Vraka, leading to an explosive fight in the heart of downtown Sunnydale. This issue features a special wrap around cover by Jeff Matsuda!
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The flashback takes place in the year 149 B.C.E.
- Hiram lies on the whereabouts of the owners of the mansion, who were killed in The Blood of Carthage, Part Three.
- After considering abandoning it, Buffy decides to stay in college. She won't be able to conclude her studies after she takes a semester off to take care of her mother ("Family"), and her own death will prevent her to apply for admittance on time ("As You Were").
- After using the Eye of Persia one last time, Giles will return it to the Watchers Council, as he claims in Giles: Beyond the Pale.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Scipio Armilianus (Only in flashbacks)
- Cato (Only in flashbacks)
- Foster (Only in flashbacks)
- Rupert Giles
- Lucy Hanover
- Xander Harris
- Anya Jenkins
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Xerxes the Blind
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
- Blood of Carthage
- Dingoes Ate My Baby (Only mentioned)
- Higher being (Only mentioned)
- Old One
- Scooby Gang
- Sunnydale Police Department
- Sorcerer (Only in flashbacks)
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Africa (Only mentioned)
- Roman Empire (Only in flashbacks)
- Carthage (Only in flashbacks)
- Sunnydale, USA
Weapons and objects[edit | edit source]
Rituals and spells[edit | edit source]
- Binding spell
- Memory spell (Only mentioned)
- Sleep spell (Only mentioned)
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Unidentified woman, killed by Ky-Laag.
- Xiu, eaten by Ky-Laag.
- Hiram, hearts ripped out by Vraka.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The photo cover features promotional pictures taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 4.
- Senator Cato is likely a reference to Cato the Elder, known for concluding his speeches with "Carthage must be destroyed," although he wasn't in office since 194 BCE and would die in the same year as the flashback.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- The Blood of Carthage, Part Five was the 96th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 22,468 sales in September 2000 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Xander announces demons parodying the quote "Houston, we have a problem," from the film Apollo 13 (1995).
- As a child, Xander wore a shirt of the band Nine Inch Nails.
- The binding ritual mentions the Greek gods Pan and Hecate, as well as the biblical figures of Barabbas and Satan.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Cover artwork[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Buffy: "It's hard work, the whole living thing, like one long battle. But what are we without it?"|
|Lucy: "Ghosts, Buffy. Just ghosts."|