"Tales" is the eighth and final short story in the Tales of the Slayers graphic novel. Written by Joss Whedon and illustrated by Karl Moline, it was originally published on February 20, 2002 by Dark Horse Comics.
On her way to a grab for Gunther, Melaka Fray has to fight vampires. These being very old, they know the moves of the Slayer. Mel, however, does not, as she hadn't inherited the Slayer psychic abilities. She is able to slay the vampires then she opens the box that's supposed to be her grab. A four-armed spider-monkey escapes from it and runs off with her Scythe. Mel quickly pursues the creature through the busy Haddyn streets.
Eventually, the creature leads her to an abandoned apartment, with a red Scythe tiled on the floor and shelves of old Watchers Diaries. As Mel inspects the room, the spider-monkey goes to sleep. In the books, she is able to read about various past Slayers, and not to be alone anymore.
- The story is set after Melaka's appearance in All Hell and before Time of Your Life, Part One.
- All but four of the Slayers that Mel read about are Slayers whose stories are included in the graphic novel. The others being Buffy Summers, Yuki Makimura, and the unidentified Indian Slayer. The unidentified pilot Slayer had not previously been seen.
- Anni (Only in flashbacks)
- Melaka Fray
- Gunther (Only mentioned)
- Yuki Makimura (Only in flashbacks)
- Naayéé'neizgháni (Only in flashbacks)
- Sineya (Only in flashbacks)
- Buffy Summers (Only in flashbacks)
- Elizabeth Weston (Only in flashbacks)
- Nikki Wood (Only in flashbacks)
- Unidentified Indian Slayer (Only in flashbacks)
- Unidentified pilot Slayer (Only in flashbacks)
- Unidentified Slayer (Righteous) (Only in flashbacks)
Organizations and titles
- Two vampires, staked by Melaka Fray.
Behind the scenes
|Melaka Fray: "I am the only one in the world, but I am not alone."|