|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Spotlight: Doyle is the fourth issue of the "Spotlight" comic book miniseries. Written by Jeff Mariotte and illustrated by David Messina, it was originally published on July 26, 2006 by IDW Publishing.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Before Angel hit L.A., there were plenty of demons around. One of them was named Doyle, a half-human, half-Brachen demon with personal problems galore. When Angel gets to town, Doyle is entrusted by The-Powers-That-Be with guiding his quest for atonement-but with difficulties of his own to atone for, what made TPTB think he was the right, er… half-man for the job? Written by Angel novelist Jeff Mariotte ("Angel: Old Friends") with art by his "Angel: Old Friends" partner David Messina.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Doyle wanders the streets of L.A., depressed and isolated. He gets a vision about a young woman he knows named Misty, showing that she is in grave danger. He rushes to try and save her from a grisly fate, but he is too late to save her. After some investigation, he finds the woman responsible for Misty's death; she was running a shop catering to human-eating demons, selling harvested human organs. Doyle fights and defeats her, burning down her shop to make sure its contents are destroyed.
Shortly afterwards, he goes to meet Angel for the first time, with a message about a young woman named Tina.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The comic is set immediately before "City of" and therefore contains multiple references to the episode. The vision of Tina is seen briefly and part of the conversation Doyle and Angel have from the episode is also shown.
- Doyle's past encounter with Lucas is mentioned briefly, along with a mention of The Scourge. The episode "Hero" depicts the confrontation with Lucas through a series of flashbacks.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Christina Clarke (Only in visions)
- Allen Francis Doyle
- Lucas (Only in flashbacks)
- Unidentified demon
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Los Angeles
- Rest Hotel
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Misty, killed by an unidentified demon.
- Unidentified demon, fell out of window after attacking Doyle.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- Spotlight: Doyle was the 167th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 8,949 sales in July 2006 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- A pedestrian calls Doyle "Healy" then "Mark"; this is a reference to the actor who portrayed Doyle, Glenn Quinn, had also portrayed Mark Healy on the sitcom Roseanne.
- A background includes the words Live Nude Girls, a reference to the film starring Glenn Quinn.
- Doyle mentions Bruce Willis, a famous American actor while talking about Irish action heroes. He is likely alluding to Willis' character, John McClane from Die Hard, who is of an Irish-American nationality.
- Doyle talks about Irish action heroes and mentions Will Smith during the discussion.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Doyle: "This is who I am. Allen Francis Doyle. Half-demon, Drunk, two steps away from homeless, and with gamblin' issues to boot."|