He took in Kendra for training at a very young age. Zabuto was very strict, and did not allow Kendra to attend school or have any pastimes except for studying demon lore. She was also not allowed to speak to boys. Zabuto heavily relied upon the Slayer Handbook.
When Kendra was activated as a slayer, he sent her to Sunnydale to stop the rise of Drusilla, who at the time was going to be restored to health by Spike.
His fate after the death of Kendra was unknown, though Nina Jamison-Smythe believes the Zabuto Watcher line to be one of those wiped out in the First Evil's assault on the Council, indicating his death.
- Kendra Young - Sam appeared to have a caring though business-like relationship with his Slayer Kendra, having trained her as a Potential since childhood and maintaining her strict focus on her duties only. His reaction to her death is unknown as he may himself be deceased.
- Ruth Zabuto - An older female Watcher , most likely of an unknown relation to Sam. Further relationship unknown.
- "What's My Line, Part Two" (Only mentioned)
- "Becoming, Part One" (Only mentioned)
- The Book of Fours (Non-canon)
- Slayer (Only mentioned)