Righteous is the second story in the "Tales of the Slayers" graphic novel.
In a medieval English village, a young, deeply religious maiden initially rejects her calling as the Slayer, believing that God would not curse her so. However she soon accepts her destiny, comparing it to the suffering of Christ. She studies, trains, and rejects her suitors, devoting herself to God. In the meantime she prepares for her battle with Saint Just, a powerful vampire making his way from town to town, leaving behind only ashes.
The village is attacked by St. Just, who climbs the walls protecting it and opens it to his followers. The men of the village refuse the call to arms, many hiding in church. The Slayer fights St. Just and beheads him, while his pack escapes.
Though the village has been saved, the Slayer is accused of witchcraft by the local priest and soon she is arrested while sleeping. She is burned at the stake before the eyes of her Watcher, who is unable to save her.
After she is dead, the townsfolk celebrate. However, the Watcher kills one of the guards and opens the gates to St. Just's former minions, who kill the Watcher and proceed to destroy the village and slaughter its inhabitants.
- Set in the Middle Ages, this story takes place millennia after Prologue (prehistory), when the first Slayer walks alone; and centuries before the flashbacks of "Darla" (year 1609), when Darla is sired by the Master.
Organizations and TitlesEdit
Weapons and ObjectsEdit
- Unknown number of locals and residents of neighbor towns, killed by Saint Just.
- Saint Just, staked and decapitated by the Maiden Slayer.
- The Maiden Slayer, burned alive.
- Unidentified guard, killed by the unidentified Watcher.
- The unidentified Watcher, killed by vampires.
Behind the ScenesEdit
|Unidentified Watcher - "They burned the darkness from my mind. The world at last was clear. For God is good... And God is kind... But He's not welcome here."|