- There are flashbacks of Spike killing Xin Rong and Nikki Wood ("Fool for Love").
- Spike being used to fight Buffy outside of his own control is similar to his situation with the First Evil in "Sleeper". He likely refers to this as he says "I'm no one's puppet. Never again."
- Buffy mirrors the episode "Family" as she says "We're family."
- Dawn's bedroom in her apartment is shown for the first time.
- Xander recalls Andrew coming out (Love Dares You, Part One) and Willow breaking up with Aluwyn (Love Dares You, Part Three).
- Xander and Dawn end their relationship, which had began in Retreat, Part Three and was interrupted in New Rules, Part Five.
- Xander mentions the running joke of the majority of his romantic interests turning out to be demons, mentioning the events of "Teacher's Pet" and I Wish, Part Two.
- Spike and Giles recollects the last time Buffy and Angel saw each other (Last Gleaming, Part Five), when she sent him again after killing Giles (Last Gleaming, Part Four).
- Spike begins his call with Angel with "Hello, wanker," as he had done in Spike: A Dark Place, Part Five. Angel is in his phone as "Wanker," a contact name previously given to Xander (The Core, Part Three).
- The call between Angel and Spike is a crossover with Angel & Faith issue Fight or Flight.
- Buffy Summers
- Willow Rosenberg
- Xander Harris
- Rupert Giles
- Dawn Summers
- Nikki Wood (Only in flashbacks)
- Xin Rong (Only in flashbacks)
- Andrew Wells (Only mentioned)
- Aluwyn (Only mentioned)
- She-Mantis (Only mentioned)
- Ninny (Only mentioned)
- D'Hoffryn (Only mentioned)
Organization and TitlesEdit
Weapons and ObjectsEdit
- Nikki Wood, neck snapped by Spike (in flashback).
- Xin Rong, drained by Spike (in flashback).
- Various Archaeus' minions, dusted by Dawn, Xander, and Spike.
Behind the ScenesEdit
Pop Culture ReferencesEdit
- The title is a reference to relationship status option "it's complicated" on Facebook social media.
- Spike mentions the philosopher and military strategist Sun Tzu.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.