|This article is about the Tales short story. For the Angel comic issue, see Prologue (Angel).|
Summary[edit | edit source]
Sineya, the first Slayer, fights a vampire just outside of an African village. Afterward a young villager comes to her and offers her food and informs her that, though the village elders are grateful, they want her to leave because she is part demon.
The girl tells Sineya that is also the reason for the Shadowmen to create only one Slayer, and that when she dies, another girl will be chosen and so forth, forever. Silent, Sineya simply leaves, filled with confusion and pity, but also with some comfort.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- This is the earliest full story in the Buffyverse, preceded chronologically only by flashbacks.
- The events are set after the visions from "Get It Done", in which Sineya becomes the first Slayer.
- Sineya is isolated from villagers she had helped, referencing what she eventually tells Buffy Summers about the Slayer being alone ("Restless").
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Weapons and objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- One unidentified vampire, staked by Sineya.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- This is the first mention of the creators of the Slayer line, the Shadowmen. They would later appear in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV series in episode "Get It Done".
- This story has Sineya's only appearance that doesn't feature her as a spirit guide, but taking place while she was alive.
Collections[edit | edit source]
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Sineya: "Others. The though fills me with feelings I have to struggle to name. Confusion. Pity. Comfort. There will be others... like me."|