| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
On the outskirts of Sunnydale, recent rains have uncovered the remains of a five hundred-year-old Spanish expedition. But one of the artifacts, a smoky mirror with an ornately carved obsidian frame, goes missing, along with the history teacher who found it. And when Buffy narrowly escapes the attack of a black jaguar while on patrol, Giles puts the gang into research mode.
An ancient volume identifies the missing mirror as a magical object formed by the Aztec god of darkness. A mortal who looks into the mirror will see his or her fate — and can be manipulated by the evil god, who is scheming to regain his power.
Taking their destinies into their own hands, the Slayer and her friends rush into a ferocious battle between light and darkness in the shadows of a massive Aztec temple, a battle against perpetual night — and the evil that thrives in the dark hours.
- The events of this story take place during Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3. Since everyone is talking about their college entrance exams, it takes place after “Lovers Walk”, but because Oz and Willow are back together, it takes place after “Amends”. It takes place before “Bad Girls” and “Consequences” since Mr. Trick is still the minion of Mayor Wilkins, Faith isn’t yet evil and Wesley is not mentioned.
- The nightmares the Scooby Gang face foreshadow a similar scenario which would later take place in episode "Fear, Itself". For example, Willow's is failing in witchcraft and Oz's is knowing the wolf inside him. Incidentally, Buffy's fear is an eternity of demons, Giles' is the eradication of Jenny from his memory, and Xander's is a reversion to a hyena-state from "The Pack".
- Although she doesn’t appear in this book, Faith is mentioned for the first time in the novels on page 32.
- Cordelia Chase
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Daniel Osbourne
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
Organizations and titlesEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- The cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
- French: Le Miroir des Ténèbres (The Mirror of Darkness)
- German: Der Gott der Finsternis (The God of Darkness)