|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Summary[edit | edit source]
A HISTORY LESSON?
In 1692 in Salem, Massachusetts, the Despised One was raised from the Otherworld and Samantha Kane, that generation's Slayer, died while defeating it. Now in 1997, the Master is trying to have history repeat itself but this time with a different ending. The spirits of the people responsible for the rise of the Despised One in 1692 are now inhabiting the bodies of Buffy and her friends. Buffy must stop the ritual from happening or the Master will rise from his prison below Sunnydale.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The events of this story take place on Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 2.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Cordelia Chase
- Lora Church
- Rick Church
- Sheriff Corwin
- Judge Danforth
- Despised One
- Sarah Dinsdale
- Augie Duluth
- Robert Erwin
- Eric Frank
- Rupert Giles
- John Goodman
- Alexander Harris
- Samantha Kane
- Daryl MacGovern
- Cotton Mather
- Heather Putnam
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Weapons and objects[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The cover features a promotional picture taken for the episode "Prophecy Girl."
- The book was written during season 1 and the official summary references the Master being trapped in the church. Edits were made before its publication to make it compliant with canon established by "Prophecy Girl," making the Master plot from hell and seek his return to Sunnydale through the Hellmouth, instead of merely seeking to leave the church.
- The Master holds responsibility for the Salem Witch Trials.
- The Lovecraftian tome The Book of Eibon appears in Giles' library.
Collections[edit | edit source]
International titles[edit | edit source]
- Dutch: Herhaling van het Verleden (Recurrence of the Past)
- French: Répétition Mortelle (Deadly Repetition)
- German: Die Nacht der Wiederkehr (The Night of Returns)
- Hungarian: Kísért a múlt (Haunted by the Past)
- Indonesian: Malam Pengulangan (Night Repetition)
- Portuguese (Portugal): A Noite da Reencarnação Final (The Night of the Final Reincarnation)
- Russian: Ночь заново прожитой жизни (Night of Life Lived Again)
Other[edit | edit source]
- The book is the third entry in a trilogy of standalone books connected by the theme of "Cowboys and Indians," along with Halloween Rain and Coyote Moon. The cowboy theme is represented by the climactic battle humorously taking place in a western-themed restaurant and the Indian theme is represented by both the historical conflict between Salem and the Wabanaki Confederacy in the flashback setting and as Native American bodies in the Sunnydale area being among the various zombies to animate in the modern setting.
- The book is the first Buffy tie-in novel whose plot is not envisioned as a one-shot monster-of-the-week adventure but as a full season arc — in this case, for a speculative season two — with scattered references to the monster-of-the-week adventures the Scoobies face in-between events that progress the main plot.