|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
New Kid on the Block, Part One is the sixth issue of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic series. Written by Andi Watson with Dan Brereton and illustrated by Hector Gomez, it was originally published on March 3, 1999 by Dark Horse Comics.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
With spring in the air and a day off from school, the gang decides to have a get together. Harboring thoughts of an all-night, all-girl slumber party, Willow's new gal-pal, Cynthia, volunteers to coordinate it. The only problem is whom to invite. Buffy's in. Cordelia, too. What about Xander? Eight ladies, all in their pajamas. One way or another, Xander's going to make it!
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- This story is established as taking place during Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Cordelia Chase
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Daniel Osbourne
- Sheila Rosenberg (Only mentioned)
- Ira Rosenberg (Only mentioned)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Two unidentified vampires, staked by Buffy Summers.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The photo cover features a promotional still taken from the episode "Innocence."
- Differently from other representations, at this point the comic issues had vampires able to transform into green creatures with red eyes, pointy ears, a wide mouth, and long teeth. Although, this seems more like an artistic choice, not having direct consequence to the stories.
Distribution[edit | edit source]
- New Kid on the Block, Part One was the 36th best selling comic issue in its publishing month, with 44,964 sales in March 1999 at comic specialty stores.
Collections[edit | edit source]
- Uninvited Guests
- Omnibus, Volume 3
- Classic 18: New Kid on the Block
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Legacy Edition, Book 1
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Cordelia mentions her shoes are from luxury brand Gucci.
- Buffy mentions Pavlovian conditioning in reference to Xander's "drooling" response.
- Buffy and Cordelia comments on the stereotype of Generation X as "slackers."
- Xander mentions YM girls' magazine.
- Cordelia compares Xander with fictional lawyer Ally McBeal.
- Oz mentions actor Leonardo DiCaprio, and the girls indeed freeze-frame his face on VHS during the slumber party.
- Xander's TV plays a game with ice hockey team Los Angeles Kings.
- Cordelia questions Willow if she bought her food from Kmart department store.
- Angel reads with Buffy the play Romeo and Juliet.