| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
Lovely, Dark and Deep (also known as Hunting Ground), is a story of the Angel comic book series. Written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Brian Horton with Paul Lee, it was originally published by Dark Horse Comics on April 19, 2000.
Cordelia lands the starring role in a Blair Witch rip-off about three filmmakers searching for the legendary "Helm of Haraxis." But what she and Angel don't know is that the film is a sham and the Helm is the real thing!
- The vampire Gorm had been looking for the Helm of Haraxis by the year 1940, while the Watchers Council knew it was "in a cave on the west coast of America" ("Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row").
Organizations and titles
- Angel Investigations
- Helm Productions
- Los Angeles
- Angel Investigations offices
- Helm Productions offices
- Hollywood (Only mentioned)
- Sequoia National Park, Visalia
- Warning Wood
Weapons and objects
- Dave, beheaded by one of the spirits of the woods.
- Casey Barton, neck broken by Wynton.
- Aubrey and Wynton, beheaded by one of the spirits of the woods.
Behind the scenes
- The title is an excerpt from the poem Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening (1922).
- Cordelia's film takes place in the real Sequoia National Park.
- Lovely, Dark and Deep was first published as a three part story in Dark Horse Presents issues #153–155.
- Originally published in black and white, the story was then colored when first collected.
- The story was titled as Hunting Ground in the "Angel Omnibus".
Pop culture references
- Cordelia compares the movie she'll star with the film The Blair Witch Project (1999).
- Casey mentions he and Dave have been fed Slim Jim jerky snacks.
- Cordelia compares the demons' performance with The Muppet Show (1976–1981) television series.