- “Kakistos is Greek, it means the worst of the worst. It's also the name of a vampire so old his hands and feet are cloven.”
- ―Rupert Giles[src]
Kakistos, the Father was an ancient vampire master of Greek origin.
Biography[edit | edit source]
After killing Faith Lehane's unidentified first Watcher, Kakistos traveled to Sunnydale in 1998 to hunt down the Slayer herself. With him came an entourage of his minions, most of them fanatical followers led by Mr. Trick, Kakistos' right hand and a modern-minded vampire. Kakistos was finally slain by Faith who overcame her fear of him and impaled a four-by-four through his chest, staking and killing him.
Personality[edit | edit source]
- “There's a reason these vengeance crusades are out of style. It's the modern vampire who sees the big picture.”
- ―Mr. Trick[src]
Kakistos was an old-minded, traditionalist vampire who reveled in the torture and mutilation of his victims. He seemingly did not approve of modern developments such as the electric light, preferring to light his dwellings with candles instead. He had little interest in modern comforts that would've allowed him to establish a power base with little effort. It was this short-sightedness that led Mr. Trick to abandon his master to be dusted by the Slayers.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
- “Guess you need a bigger stake, Slayer.”
- ―Kakistos to Buffy[src]
- Vampire abilities: Kakistos was an ancient vampire, so old he had developed cloven hooves and was incapable of assuming human face. He possessed the same powers as other vampires, however to a much higher degree. For instance, he was able to effortlessly shrug off blows from Faith and Buffy and overpowered Angel in a fight.
- Staking resistance: Common-sized stake were ineffective against him; while they were able to physically wound him, they could not dust him. He could only be dusted by a large wooden stake (Faith used a broken wooden beam).
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- He was portrayed by Jeremy Roberts.
- Contrary to Giles' translation, "Kakistos" simply means "the worst" in Greek, without any superlative.
- Kakistos appeared as a boss in the non-canon 2003 video game Chaos Bleeds, where Kakistos is resurrected by the First Evil as his champion against Faith. In the game, Kakistos could raise the dead and threatened do so to Buffy's deceased mother, using this as a distraction to escape their first encounter. Buffy broke the spell with Spike's help and Faith later killed him again.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- "Faith, Hope & Trick"
- Blood & Trenches
- Spike and Dru: Pretty Maids All in a Row
- Go Ask Malice
- Chaos Bleeds