| The subject of this article is of alternate canonicity.|
While created as part of licensed material, it is not part of the original Buffyverse, but its own developed story.
Hellmouth, Part One is the first issue of the Hellmouth comic book miniseries. Written by Jordie Bellaire and Jeremy Lambert, and illustrated by Eleonora Carlini, it was originally published on October 9, 2019 by Boom! Studios.
Buffy and her Scooby Gang will have to muster all their strength as they deal with an open Hellmouth that threatens the lives of everyone they love in Sunnydale. Meanwhile, Angel, the vampire cursed with a soul, arrives in town to find his redemption by doing whatever it takes to close the Hellmouth… and no human, demon, or Slayer will stand in his way.
- The story continues immediately after the Hellmouth is open in Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8, as seen from Angel's perspective in Angel #5.
- Giles goes after Anya in her magic shop, having previously sent Buffy there in Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5.
- Angel tells Buffy about seeing her in the Hellmouth surrounded by fire, in reference to his visions in Angel #5.
- Buffy finds the body of Sandy Noxon, who had danced with Robin in Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8.
- Jennifer Calendar
- Camazotz (Only mentioned)
- Cordelia Chase
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Anya Jenkins
- Sandy Noxon (Only body)
- Willow Rosenberg (Only mentioned)
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
- Robin Wood
- Hellmouth spawn (Only mentioned)
Organizations and titles
- Los Angeles (Only mentioned)
Weapons and objects
- Sandy Noxon, sacrificed by Drusilla (only mentioned).
Behind the scenes
- Kelly and Nichole Matthews's variant cover connects with their own for issues Buffy the Vampire Slayer #8 and Angel #5.
- Eleonora Carlini's third and fourth printing covers are reproductions of interior pages of this story.
- In September 19, Boom! Studios announced a second printing for this issue, as it had sold out still at the distributor level, three weeks before it had even started to go on sale in stores. In October 8, a third printing was announced as the second one had sold out as well.
Pop culture references
- Cordelia compares Robin with fictional character Rubeus Hagrid, from the Harry Potter franchise.
- Buffy calls Angel Jiminy Cricket, in reference to the character from the animated film Pinocchio (1940).
- ↑ "The First-Ever BUFFY & ANGEL Comic Book Event Begins in HELLMOUTH #1 From BOOM! Studios". Boom! Studios, July 1, 2019.
- ↑ "HELLMOUTH #1 Is SOUL-ED OUT Before It Hits Stores!". Boom! Studios, September 19, 2019.
- ↑ "HELLMOUTH #1 Sells Out of Second Printing Before It Hits Stores!". Boom! Studios, October 8, 2019.