| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Around Sunnydale, they say a scarecrow saturated with Halloween rain will come alive and slaughter anyone in sight. (Lovely place, Sunnydale.) Buffy's best friends, Xander and Willow, used to think the tale was nonsense — but after a few adventures with Buffy, they're not so sure.
Even without a maniacal scarecrow, a Sunnydale Halloween is a truly horrific happening. There are enough zombies and vampires about, ready to party hearty and eat some brains, to keep the Slayer and her friends up all night.
And then rain starts to fall…
- Buffy's use of a crossbow and references to the Master indicate that the novel takes place sometime after "Angel" but before "Prophecy Girl".
- Halloween is depicted as an event with higher supernatural activity, which contradicts the statement first mentioned in episode "Halloween". The rule that it tends to be lower is mentioned as well in "Fear, Itself" and "All the Way".
- Claire Bellamy
- Cordelia Chase
- Nick Daniels
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Master (Only mentioned)
- Glenn O'Leary
- Erin Randall
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
Organizations and titlesEdit
Behind the scenesEdit
- Halloween Rain is the first original Buffy the Vampire Slayer novel, third only to the novelizations The Harvest and Buffy the Vampire Slayer among all Buffyverse books.
- The cover features a promotional picture taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 1.
- The Japanese edition includes ten original illustrations of the story.
- Christopher Golden has discussed the divergent interpretations of Halloween: "We liaise with Mutant Enemy, but mostly for their approval rather than to avoid the duplication of ideas. [...] We wrote our Halloween novel before Joss [Whedon] did Halloween on the show. Again, it isn't in continuity, so we have to just judge it on whether or not its an effective story, which I think it is."
- Dutch: Halloween
- French: La Pluie d'Halloween (The Halloween Rain)
- German: Halloween
- Indonesian: Hujan Halloween (Halloween Rain)
- Italian: Il Ballo di Halloween (The Halloween Dance)
- Japanese: 死霊の王 (King of the Dead)
- Portuguese: Chuva em Dia de Bruxas (Rain on Halloween)
- Halloween Rain is the first of a trilogy of standalone books connected by the loose theme of "Cowboys and Indians", along with Coyote Moon and Night of the Living Rerun. Halloween Rain mostly represents this theme with Halloween costumes, depicting two cowboy-themed vampires — dressed as cowboy and saloon girl — and two Indian-themed humans — a white guy dressed as a stereotypical movie "Indian" and a real Native American who takes issue with the former's costume.