|This article is about the short story. For the collection, see Frenemies (TPB).|
|The subject of this article is of alternate canonicity.
While created as part of licensed material, it is not part of the original Buffyverse, but its own developed story.
"Frenemies" is a short story of Buffy the Vampire Slayer (2019) comic book series. Written by Jordie Bellaire and illustrated by Dan Mora with Serg Acuña, it was originally published on May 4, 2019 by Boom! Studios.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
There's something evil lurking under Sunnydale High School, namely a gateway to a hell dimension that's been foretold to destroy the world as we know it. Buffy and the gang have mostly got it under control… as long as everything stays exactly as it is, and we mean zero new plot points, no new characters, and absolutely no twists, turns, or misunderstood prophecies. Easy peasy!
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Anya displays some care for bunnies, as her original counterpart did initially ("Selfless") but developed a phobia a millennium after ("Fear, Itself").
- Buffy mispronounces the Anima Colligationem, a tendency her original counterpart displayed multiple times ("Nightmares," "Bad Eggs," "Faith, Hope & Trick," etc.).
- Buffy seeks an object in order to help a vampire friend, as Xander was sired in Welcome Back to the Hellmouth, Part Four.
- Angel arrives in Sunnydale, having followed Fee-Fee's suggestion from Prologue.
- Anya mentions a massacre shared with Angel before his ensoulement (Prologue), and notes she haven't seem him in decades.
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer #5 reveals the events that led Buffy to the magic shop, as well as Buffy returning to Giles with the map.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
- Ireland (Only mentioned)
- United States
Objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Unidentified vampire, staked by Buffy.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- The story is to be published under the annual promotional event of Free Comic Book Day. It is the third year in which Buffy the Vampire Slayer comics are included, after "In Space No One Can Hear You Slay" (2012) and "No Need to Fear, the Slayer's Here" (2017).
- In order to maintain the secret debut of Angel in the Buffy, as well as its own series, Greg Smallwood produced a bogus cover without Angel's face.
International titles[edit | edit source]
- Italian: "Nemiciamici" (Enemiesfriends)