| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse.
Willow's soft spot for critters finds her spending a cold winter morning along the coast as part of a volunteer rescue team, cleaning up an oil spill that has damaged the marine habitat. While climbing over some rocks, she discovers another unexpected victim of the spillage — a selkie, a shape-shifting seal girl who won't be able to return to the sea until the oil is removed from her coat.
Willow takes the creature back to the library so that Giles and the Slayerettes can help her to restore her magickal coat. However, though "Ariel," as the posse dubs her, is endearing in her innocence, Buffy can't quite shake her innate suspicions of the creature whose nature, like the ocean, is ever changing.
Unfortunately, the spill has forced more than a selkie from the cold water. Merrows look very much like traditional mermaids — with one important and fatal difference. As if things weren't complicated enough…
- The events of this story take place on Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
- Cordelia Chase
- Rupert Giles
- Alexander Harris
- Julian Lee
- Daniel Osbourne
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Joyce Summers
Organizations and titles
Behind the scenes
- The cover features promotional pictures taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3.
- French: Les Sirènes Démoniaques (The Demonic Sirens)
- German: Stille Wasser (Still Waters)
- ↑ "Deep Water eBook by Josepha Sherman, Laura Anne Gilman". Simon & Schuster. Retrieved August 3, 2019.