|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Continuing the look into Buffy’s life before Sunnydale, we take a detour with Dawn — a mysterious package is accidentally delivered to the younger Summers sister, and the enchanted teddy bear Hoopy wreaks havoc upon the life of the little ten year old. Intended to destroy the Slayer, the gift leads Dawn unwittingly into her first adventure, years before she’d ever be accepted into the Scooby Gang.
- This story includes the false memories around Dawn Summers, before she was created in "Buffy vs. Dracula."
- Buffy, Dawn, and Joyce Summers are yet to move to Sunnydale, making this story previous to the series’ debut episode "Welcome to the Hellmouth."
- The story takes place during Buffy’s mission in Las Vegas ("Viva Las Buffy!").
- Hoopy the Bear, first seen in Withdrawal, has his origins revealed.
- Ms. Olshan
- Buffy Summers (Only in flashbacks)
- Dawn Summers
- Hank Summers
- Hoopy the Bear
- Joyce Summers
- Matthew's mother
Organizations and titles
Weapons and objects
- An unidentified vampire, beheaded by Hoopy the Bear.
Behind the scenes
- The photo cover has a promotional photo for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5.
- This story is part of the first book of the Buffy: Year One trilogy, the last stories of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic, about Buffy Summers as a Slayer before her arrival in Sunnydale.
- The “Hoop” bear is a parody from the character Pooh Bear, their names reverse from each other.
- Dawn’s plush elephant is called Horton in reference to the artist Brian Horton.
- French: Dawn et Hoopy l’Ourson (Dawn and Hoopy the Bear)
- German: Dawn & Hoopy, der När (Dawn & Hoopy, the Bear)
Pop culture references
- Dawn plays video game in the Nintendo 64 console.
- A vampire compares Dawn to the McNugget processed meal.
- Matthew mentions the character Chucky, the murderous possessed doll.
- “Buffy the Vampire Slayer #55 Dawn and Hoopy the Bear”. Dark Horse Comics. Retrieved October 10, 2017.