|The subject of this article is non-canonical.
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
"Dance with Me" is a short story of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic comic book series. Written by Christopher Golden and illustrated by Hector Gomez, it was originally published on November 17, 1998 by Dark Horse Comics.
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
There's a dance at Sunnydale High tonight. Any other girl would be there laughing, gossiping, dancing. But much as she'd like to be… much as it pains her… Buffy Summers isn't like other girls. She's the Chosen One. She's the Vampire Slayer.
Summary[edit | edit source]
Buffy is at the cemetery during a patrol, although there's a school dance that night she'd rather be in. She founds an unconscious woman and discovers she's still alive, and concludes she had just interrupted someone's "snack." The vampire in questions appears, and he tells Buffy he'd been leaving a trail of bodies expecting to bring her into him, and asks the Slayer if now she'd dance with him.
Buffy recognizes him as Gary, who also attended Sunnydale High and had been repeatedly asking her to the upcoming dance, despite her multiple refusals. He then strikes her, glad she remembers him, and angrily tells her she was sweet in her easy rejections to such a loser like him, but he got sick of being a geek. Gary then says the pity on Buffy's eyes was worse than the cruelty, but now that he had changed and become a vampire, she'd have to dance with him.
Buffy tells him she won't have pity then, and calls him to dance, but as a fight, and stakes him in the heart. With his dust still falling, Xander and Willow arrive to invite Buffy to the dance, and ask her about her apparent distress. She answers she isn't okay, but will be after she dances with her friends.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- The story takes place sometime before the last dance at Sunnydale High ("The Prom"), and presumably after the first dance of the Scoobies' senior year ("Homecoming").
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Events[edit | edit source]
- Sunnydale High School dance
Locations[edit | edit source]
Objects[edit | edit source]
Death count[edit | edit source]
- Gary, staked by Buffy Summers.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- This story was originally published exclusively for TV Guide magazine, issue November 21–27, 1998.
Collections[edit | edit source]
- Omnibus, Volume 3
- Classic 15: Cold Turkey/Dance with Me
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer Legacy Edition, Book 1
Pop culture references[edit | edit source]
- Xander exclaims "Zoinks!" which has the earliest and most commonly known usage in the Scooby-Doo cartoon franchise.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Preview[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- "Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic #15: Cold Turkey/Dance With Me". ComiXology. Retrieved January 4, 2018.