| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Coyote Moon was a novel based on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
It's summer vacation in Sunnydale and the carnival has come to town. At the carnival Willow and Xander hook up with two carnies but Buffy sense something evil about them and she thinks it has something to do with the sudden influx of coyotes in the area. Eventually Buffy learns that the carnies are skinwalkers and that they're in town to raise Spurs Hardaway, their old master, from his grave in one of Sunnydale's cemeteries. Buffy has to stop these werecoyotes before Willow and Xander become their victims.
- Buffy Summers
- Xander Harris
- Willow Rosenberg
- Rupert Giles
- Cordelia Chase
- Rose (werecoyote)
- Lonnie (werecoyote)
- Hopscotch (werecoyote)
- Dr. Henshaw (friendly doctor)
- Spurs Hardaway (villain)
- This novel is supposed to take place between the first and second season of Buffy. However, the novel indicates that Buffy spends her summer in Sunnydale, while the show has Buffy in LA with her father during the summer, so the novel is totally non-canon.
- In Dutch the novel is called Nacht van de Prairiewolf (Night of the coyote).
- The book is likely an homage to The Wolf Man, with American carnies instead of Romani and skinwalkers instead of lycanthropy to suit the change in setting from Europe to America.
- The book is of the western genre, with comparisons to John Wayne and various cowboy tropes explicitly described. The ending is similar to the ending of Shane.