|This article is about a subject whose real name is unknown, being identified only by a title, nickname, or alias.|
- “Well, at least you all didn't dream about that guy with the cheese.”
- ―Buffy Summers[src]
The Cheese Man was an enigmatic figure that manifested in the dreams of the Scooby Gang.
History[edit | edit source]
Following their performance of the enjoining spell, Buffy Summers, Rupert Giles, Alexander Harris, and Willow Rosenberg were collectively attacked by Sineya in their dreams. The figure of a bald man wearing glasses appeared in each of these dreams, always with cheese slices and making a single comment about them.
These comments were:
- To Willow: "I've made a little space for the cheese slices."
- To Xander: "These… will not protect you."
- To Giles: "I wear the cheese. It does not wear me."
- To Buffy: (shakes the cheese slices, then retreats)
During the First Evil's plans to take over the Slayer line, Andrew Wells and Jonathan Levinson received various visions in a shared dream of Turok-Hans, deaths of Potential Slayers, and the Seal of Danzalthar. Among these flashes, images of the Cheese Man from Willow's dreams were included.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- He was portrayed by David Wells.
- The Cheese Man was included as well in the "previously" scenes for episode "The Gift."
- In "Restless" DVD commentary, Joss Whedon described: "…the Cheese Man — meaningless. Why? Because I needed something in the show that was meaningless, because there is always something in the dream that doesn't make any sense at all. In this case it was the Cheese Man. He confounds everybody because of that, and people ascribe him meaning. This to me means that we're being successful, because this means they're not worried about everything else, which means they sort of did understand most other things."
- In 2006, the MMORPG RuneScape added the NPC Uri Molotov, who would quote the Cheese Man: "I wear the cheese, it does not wear me."