|This article is about the novel. For other uses, see Chaos Bleeds.|
| The subject of this article is non-canonical.|
While created as part of licensed material, it has not been confirmed as part of the "real" Buffyverse continuity.
Buffy Summers makes enemies. Powerful ones. She can't avoid it — it goes with the job of being the Slayer, the one girl in all the world with the strength to destroy vampires and demons. Those who fall foul of her and live to tell the tale tend to harbour resentment and thoughts of revenge. One such is Ethan Rayne; devious, treacherous and suave. Ethan has a history with Giles, too. Their dabbling in the occult in their wilder student days led Giles to accept his destiny as a Watcher and set Ethan firmly on the path to darkness. Now Ethan returns to Sunnydale — surprisingly, asking for Buffy's help. He seems to have roused The First, the ancient evil that predates humankind. But then The First offers Ethan a deal which will gain him ultimate power. All Ethan has to do in exchange is to lure Buffy into battle…
- The book has a historian's note explaining the story "takes place in the sixth season of Buffy", contrary to the prequel comic, which is set in season 5. The actual text does suggest a late season 5 setting: Buffy sees Joyce's grave, placing it after "Forever" and the First indicates Buffy will die in a few months, indicating it takes places before her death in "The Gift". Both Tara and Giles are present, placing it before "Tabula Rasa" as well.
Behind the scenesEdit
- This book is a novelization of video game Chaos Bleeds.
- The cover features promotional pictures taken for Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 3 and season 6, by Andrew MacPherson.
Goofs, bloopers & continuity errorsEdit
- The front cover states the novel is "based on the second Buffy computer game." Chaos Bleeds is in fact the fourth game to be released.
- French: Revenants (Ghosts)