- “Next Friday, I'm gonna die.”
- ―Cassie Newton[src]
Biography[edit | edit source]
Life[edit | edit source]
Cassie was the daughter of a divorced couple, a mother and an alcoholic father with a criminal record; Phillip Newton. Her mother obtained custody, while her father, only obtained one weekend a month with his daughter. She maintained the blog Cassie's Poetry and Paintings, and was apparently a fan of the band White Stripes. At Sunnydale High, Cassie was friends with Mike Helgenberg and Dawn Summers.
Buffy, along with Xander, Dawn, Willow, and Spike managed to rescue her from a group of boys who tried to sacrifice her for the invocation of Avilas. However, immediately after, Cassie died of a heart failure caused by a congenital condition, fulfilling her own prophecy.
Legacy[edit | edit source]
Before dying, Cassie revealed a couple of precognitions that were fulfilled during the battle between the Scooby Gang and the First Evil's Turok-Han army. She revealed to Spike that "[Buffy]'ll tell [him]" she loved him, and to Buffy that she would make a difference: sharing her Slayer powers with multiple Potential Slayers in the world.
The figure of Cassie later appeared to Willow claiming to have a message from Tara Maclay: if she used magic, she would kill all her friends. Willow believed her until Cassie told her that she should kill herself, to save everyone and be with Tara again. Willow realized that this was not Cassie, so this figure — actually a disguise of the First Evil — taunted Willow and disappeared.
Powers and abilities[edit | edit source]
- “Some things, I just know. I don't know how I do, I just do.”
Intuitive precognition: Cassie's precognitive abilities manifested themselves not in the form of visions or premonitions, but in the form of vague knowledge and intuition. Her abilities granted her vague knowledge of future events, but not their causes, thus leaving her nearly helpless to prevent them. Cassie's predictions included:
- Buffy's coffee stain on her shirt.
- Mike's B in Egyptian History.
- Buffy going underground.
- Coins, which were part of the ritual summoning of Avilas.
- Her own death.
- Buffy telling Spike she loved him.
- Buffy making a difference sharing her power with multiple Potential Slayers.
Relationships[edit | edit source]
- “I want go to the stupid Winter Formal. I have this friend, and it would be fun to go with him. Just to dance, hear lame music, to wear a silly dress and laugh and stuff.”
- Mike Helgenberg — He was Cassie's closest friend, and he also had a crush on her and repeatedly asked her to the Winter Formal. While she kept it a secret, Cassie was seemingly aware of Mike's feelings for her and also reciprocated them but refused to get closer to him because of the knowledge of her future.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
In her blog, the following pictures were available:
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- She was portrayed by Azura Skye.
- Her full name was disclosed on the real website for her blog www.cassienewton.com (now inactive).
- Cassie's name derives from the Greek mythological figure of Cassandra, a woman was cursed to utter prophecies which were true but which no one believed.
- Cassandra is the last of only two characters on Buffy the Vampire Slayer to die of natural causes, the other being Joyce Summers.