- “Next Friday, I'm gonna die.”
- ―Cassie Newton[src]
Cassandra Agatha "Cassie" Newton was a Sunnydale High student with psychic abilities.
- “I'd love to ice skate at Rockefeller Center. And I'd love to watch my cousins grow up, see who they become - cause they're really mean and I think they're gonna be fat. And I've never been to the Louvre. I'd love to see the Mona Lisa. Or meet Peter Falk. Or backpack across the country. Or, I don't know... fall in love. But I won't. I just... never will.”
Cassie Newton was the daughter of a divorced couple. Her mother obtained custody, while her father only obtained one weekend a month with his daughter. Cassie is sent to Buffy Summers, Sunnydale High's guidance counselor, because she had stopped doing her homework and her grades had dropped. She reveals she will die on the next Friday. Buffy, along with Xander, Dawn and Willow, manages to save her from a group of boys who try to sacrifice her to the demon Avilas. However, immediately after, Cassie dies of a heart failure caused by a congenital condition, fulfilling her own prophecy.
- Buffy: “See? You can make a difference.”
- Cassie: “And you will.”
- — Buffy and Cassie's final conversation[src]
Before dying, Cassie reveals a couple of prophecies that are fulfilled during the battle between the Slayers and the First's Turok-Han army. She reveals to Spike that "[Buffy]'ll tell [him]" she loved him and to Buffy that she would make a difference: transforming every potential Slayer in the world into real Slayers.
- “She asked that I come talk to you. It's important.”
- ―Cassie's "ghost"[src]
Cassie then appears to Willow in "Conversations with Dead People" and tells her that she had a message from Tara; that if she uses magic, she will kill all her friends. Willow believes her until Cassie tells her that she should kill herself to save everyone and be with Tara again. Willow then realizes that this "girl" is not Cassie. After being discovered, "Cassie" (who is actually a disguise of The First Evil) taunts Willow and then disappears.
Powers and abilities
- “Some things, I just know. I don't know how I do, I just do.”
Cassie's precognitive abilities manifested themselves not in the form visions of premonitions, but in the form of vague knowledge and intuition. Her abilities allowed granted her vague knowledge of future events, but not their causes, thus leaving her nearly helpless to prevent them.
Cassie's predictions included:
- Buffy's coffee stain on her shirt.
- Mike's B in Egyptian History.
- Buffy going underground.
- Coins, which were part of the ritual summoning of Avilas.
- Her own death.
- Buffy telling Spike she loved him
- Buffy defeating the First Evil and activating the power of all potential Slayers
- “I want go to the stupid Winter Formal. I have this friend, and it would be fun to go with him. Just to dance, hear lame music, to wear a silly dress and laugh and stuff.”
- ―Cassie Newton
Mike Helgenberg: He was Cassie's closest friend, and he also had a crush on her. While she kept it a secret, Cassie was seemingly aware of Mike's feelings for her and also reciprocated them but refused to get closer to him because of the knowledge of her future.
Behind the Scenes
- She was portrayed by Azura Skye.
- Cassie's name derives from the Greek "Cassandra". The Ancient Greek tale of Cassandra depicts a beautiful young woman who is granted prophetic powers by the god Apollo. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo made it so that all her prophecies would fall on deaf ears; very much is the case with Cassie, when she tries explaining that she knows she's to die, and there's nothing Buffy can do to prevent it, Buffy then persists to try anyway—disregarding the prophecies as talk of Cassie committing suicide.
- Cassandra Newton at the Internet Movie Database