- “Next Friday, I'm gonna die.”
- ―Cassie Newton[src]
Cassandra Agatha "Cassie" Newton was a Sunnydale High student with psychic abilities.
- “I'd love to ice skate at Rockefeller Center. And I'd love to watch my cousins grow up, see who they become - cause they're really mean and I think they're gonna be fat. And I've never been to the Louvre. I'd love to see the Mona Lisa. Or meet Peter Falk. Or backpack across the country. Or, I don't know... fall in love. But I won't. I just... never will.”
Cassie was the daughter of a divorced couple. Her mother obtained custody, while her father only obtained one weekend a month with his daughter. Cassie was sent to Buffy Summers, Sunnydale High's guidance counselor, because she had stopped doing her homework and her grades had dropped. She told Buffy that she would die on the next Friday. Buffy, along with Xander Harris, Dawn Summers and Willow Rosenberg, managed to save her from a group of boys who tried to sacrifice her to the demon Avilas. However, immediately after, Cassie died of a heart failure caused by a congenital condition, fulfilling her own prophecy.
At Sunnydale High, she was friends with Mike Helgenberg and Dawn.
- Buffy: “See? You can make a difference.”
- Cassie: “And you will.”
- — Buffy and Cassie's final conversation[src]
Before dying, Cassie revealed a couple of prophecies that were fulfilled during the battle between the Slayers and the First's Turok-Han army. She revealed to Spike that "[Buffy]'ll tell [him]" she loved him and to Buffy that she would make a difference: transforming every potential Slayer in the world into real Slayers.
- “She says she still sings...”
- ―Cassie's "ghost"[src]
Cassie later appeared to Willow claiming to have a message from Tara Maclay: if she used magic, she would kill all her friends. Willow believed her until Cassie told her that she should kill herself to save everyone and be with Tara again. Willow then realized that this "girl" was not Cassie. After being discovered, "Cassie" (who was actually a disguise of The First Evil) taunted Willow and then disappeared.
Powers and Abilities
- “Some things, I just know. I don't know how I do, I just do.”
Cassie's precognitive abilities manifested themselves not in the form visions of premonitions, but in the form of vague knowledge and intuition. Her abilities granted her vague knowledge of future events, but not their causes, thus leaving her nearly helpless to prevent them.
Cassie's predictions included:
- Buffy's coffee stain on her shirt.
- Mike's B in Egyptian History.
- Buffy going underground.
- Coins, which were part of the ritual summoning of Avilas.
- Her own death.
- Buffy telling Spike she loved him
- Buffy defeating the First Evil and activating the power of all potential Slayers
- “I want go to the stupid Winter Formal. I have this friend, and it would be fun to go with him. Just to dance, hear lame music, to wear a silly dress and laugh and stuff.”
- ―Cassie Newton
Mike Helgenberg: He was Cassie's closest friend, and he also had a crush on her. While she kept it a secret, Cassie was seemingly aware of Mike's feelings for her and also reciprocated them but refused to get closer to him because of the knowledge of her future.
Behind the Scenes
- She was portrayed by Azura Skye.
- Her full name was disclosed on the website www.cassienewton.com (now defunct).
- Cassie's name derives from the Greek "Cassandra". The Ancient Greek tale of Cassandra depicts a beautiful young woman who is granted prophetic powers by the god Apollo. However, when she did not return his love, Apollo made it so that all her prophecies would fall on deaf ears; very much is the case with Cassie, when she tries explaining that she knows she's to die, and there's nothing Buffy can do to prevent it, Buffy then persists to try anyway—disregarding the prophecies as talk of Cassie committing suicide.
- Azura Skye later guest-starred in Bones with David Boreanaz (Angel) and T.J. Thyne (a lawyer in Angel Season Five). This show include also many actors of Buffyverse like Clea DuVall (Marcie Ross), Brent Jennings (Absalom), Gregory Scott Cummins (Big Ugly), Bianca Lawson (Kendra Young), Harry Groener (Richard Wilkins), Edward Edwards (Travis), Channon Roe (Jack O'Toole), Michael Cudltiz (Big Bob), Andy Umberger (D'Hoffryn/Ronald Meltzer), Tracy Middendorf (Tina), Michael Mantell (Oliver Simon), Beth Grant (Maude Pearson), Leonard Roberts (Forrest Gates), Colby French (Tay), Justina Machado (Jo), Melissa Marsala (Judy Kovacs), Edwin Hodge (Keenan), Kali Rocha (Halfrek), Mik Scriba (Sam), Tom McCleister (Lorne's mother), Kate Norby (Elisabeth), David Denman (Skip), Kristoffer Polaha (Dylan Blim), Jim Ortlieb (the translator in Lullaby), Mark Harellik (Kurskov), Clayton Rohner (Lee DeMarco), Randy Oglesby (Oliver Seidel), Jack Kehler (Manjet), Joel David Moore (Karl), K.D. Aubert (Nikki Wood), Gina Torres (Jasmine), Bonita Friedericy (Patience), Patrick Fischler (Ted), Danny Woodburn (Finger eating demon), Rod Rowland (Corbin Fries), Ryan Alvarez (Pee Pee demon) and Adam Baldwin (Marcus Hamilton).
- Azura Skye later guest-starred with Josh Randall (Bartender), Henri Lubatti (Head vampire), Nick Chinlund (Ellis), Amy Acker (Winifred Burkle/Illyria), Patrick Fischler (Ted) on Grimm (created by David Greenwalt).
- Cassandra Newton at the Internet Movie Database