|Buffy the Vampire Slayer|
|Season 6, Episode 2|
|Air date||October 2, 2001|
|Written by||David Fury|
|Directed by||David Grossman|
"Bargaining, Part One"
|Sarah Michelle Gellar||Buffy|
|Alyson Hannigan||Willow |
|Amber Benson||Tara |
"Bargaining (Part Two)" is the second episode of the sixth season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and is the one hundred second episode altogether. It was written by David Fury and directed by David Grossman. It originally broadcast on October 2, 2001.
- 1 Synopsis
- 2 Continuity
- 3 Appearances
- 4 Body Count
- 5 Behind the Scenes
- 6 Quotes
- 7 References
Synopsis[edit | edit source]
Xander carries a weakened Willow off toward the Magic Box, where Tara and Anya will meet them and they can try and contact Spike and Dawn. The Buffybot is in the possession of the demon bikers and getting beaten badly. Meanwhile, beneath the ground, the real Buffy desperately claws her way out of her coffin.
Xander stops on the way to the magic shop, and Willow is desperate to try the spell again however Xander tells her they can't as the Urn of Osiris was broken. Willow is devastated, telling Xander that it was the only one in existence and can't be repaired. Believing Buffy is truly gone forever, Willow breaks down into tears believing she failed. Tara and Anya pause on their way in time to hide from a few of Razor's followers and overhear their conversation about visiting some stores.
With the Hellions trashing the other houses on their street, Spike prepares to leave with Dawn for a safer location. Buffy finally breaks out of her coffin and reaches the surface. Dressed in a black dress and pumps, Buffy roams the damaged streets of Sunnydale, confused by the mayhem occurring. Back at the Magic Box, Tara and Anya return to find that the store is still safe. Tara casts a spell to locate Willow and Xander. Xander questions Willow's directions back to the shop and the power of the spell she conducted. Tara's spell sends a small blue light to guide Willow and Xander back to the Magic Box.
A disoriented Buffy bumps into a car, setting off the alarm and causing the owner to threaten her with a shotgun. Out in the streets, Spike knocks one of the demons off his moving bike with ease and takes it for him and Dawn to ride off on. The gang meets up at the shop to discuss their plans and how they're going to deal without Buffy, Spike, Giles, or a strong Willow. The real Buffy stumbles upon the demon bikers in the midst of celebration. Buffy stumbles upon four of the demons on their bikes which are chained to the limbs of the Buffybot. The Buffybot notices Buffy, but is then brutally ripped apart when the bikers drive off in four different directions.
The real Buffy draws attention to herself and is forced to run off, followed by the bikers. The Scooby Gang is armed and ready for battle, discussing the reasons for their failure when Buffy drops down from a fence in front of them. Willow recognizes her as the real Buffy, but scares her off.
The gang follows and Xander realizes to his horror that the spell brought Buffy back to life inside her coffin. Buffy is frightened and confused, but is motivated to beat the demons when Razor and his crew try to hurt her and her friends.
Dawn and Spike find the Buffybot's head and torso and while Spike looks for the rest of her, the robot hints that the real Buffy is back before it shuts down for the last time. Dawn takes off, leaving Spike to freak out when he doesn't know where she went. Buffy finishes off most of the demons before she runs off to Glory's tower, but Razor doesn't die. Willow, Tara, and Anya fight with Razor using various weapons and magic. As he is strangling Willow, Tara kills him with an axe. Dawn tracks Buffy to the tower and follows the Slayer as she heads to the top.
Buffy remembers what occurred the last time she was there until Dawn interrupts. Buffy questions if she's in hell and contemplates another jump. The tower starts to collapse as Dawn begs Buffy to come with her - she and the others need her. When she sees Dawn in danger, Buffy's natural instincts come to the fore and she uses a rope and pulley to get them partially to the ground. They fall the rest of the distance and Buffy cushions the fall and rolls them out of the way before the tower completely collapses. Safe, the girls hug, but Buffy's eyes don't reflect happiness.
Continuity[edit | edit source]
- Razor is Tara's first (and only) demon kill.
- This is the last appearance of the Buffybot, though, a second version will return in Season Nine.
- The spell Tara uses to find Willow and Xander in the woods is the same spell Willow tried to perform unsuccessfully in "Fear Itself".
- This episode features one of only 2 occasions where Xander takes charge of the Scoobies. The other is in "Him".
- This is the second resurrection to happen in the Buffyverse, after Darla ("To Shanshu in L.A."); notably, Buffy comes back fully clothed, as opposed to the two vampires, who were both tortured in demon dimensions.
- While Buffy is on top of the Tower, she remembers her sacrifice in "The Gift" and begins to repeat part of her final speech to Dawn, saying "Dawnie, I have to." Dawn also reminds Buffy that she told her to be strong and then begins saying "live for me" in reference to this speech.
- Buffy says she remembers everything being "shiny and clear," alluding to her being in a heavenly dimension, which she will reveal in "After Life."
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Individuals[edit | edit source]
- Rupert Giles (Only mentioned)
- Alexander Harris
- Anya Jenkins
- Tara Maclay
- Osiris (Only mentioned)
- Willow Rosenberg
- Buffy Summers
- Dawn Summers
- Tito (Only mentioned)
Organizations and titles[edit | edit source]
Species[edit | edit source]
Locations[edit | edit source]
Weapons and objects[edit | edit source]
- Holy water (Only mentioned)
- Spike's motorcycle
- Stake (Only mentioned)
- Urn of Osiris (Only mentioned)
Rituals and spells[edit | edit source]
- Guiding spell
Body Count[edit | edit source]
- Buffybot, destroyed by four Hellions on bikes
- Three hellions, killed by Buffy
- One hellion, killed by Willow
- One hellion, killed by Xander
- Razor, killed by Tara with an axe
Behind the Scenes[edit | edit source]
Production[edit | edit source]
- This episode is the first without Anthony Stewart Head as Giles.
- The episode was originally conceived of as a self-contained episode called "Hell".
Broadcast[edit | edit source]
- The 2-hour season premiere of "Bargaining, Parts One and Two" on UPN attracted 7.7 million viewers, the second highest viewership the show has ever received, only behind Season Two's "Innocence".
Pop Culture References[edit | edit source]
- Xander's worries that Buffy might eat their brains is a reference to zombie horror films such as The Return of the Living Dead series, in which the zombies eat their victims' brains.
- Xander also makes a reference to Peter Pan with this line: "And how long have you known your girlfriend was Tinkerbell?"
- Xander's line "Yeah, we got trouble. Right here in Hellmouth City." is a reference to the song “Ya Got Trouble” from The Music Man.
Music[edit | edit source]
Goofs, Bloopers & Continuity Errors[edit | edit source]
- It is possible to see multiple cameramen on the ground while Sarah Michelle Gellar is standing on top of the tower made by Glory.
- During the scene in the tower with Buffy and Dawn, a small microphone can be briefly seen above Dawn's head.
- In the scene just before Razor reawakens and attacks the Scoobs we can see him get up on the right hand side of the screen just before the shot of him opening his eyes.
International titles[edit | edit source]
- French: Chaos - Partie 2 (Chaos - Part 2)
- German: Die Auferstehung - Teil 2 (The Resurrection - Part 2)
- Italian: "Il Rito — 2ª Parte" (The Ritual — 2 Part)
Quotes[edit | edit source]
|Anya: "Already been looted! Sorry! Try the appliance store down the block! They've got great toasters!"|
|Xander: "Oh, no."|
|Xander: "No. How could we... so stupid!"|
|Xander: "Our spell. Our resurrection spell worked like a magic charm. We brought you back to life, Buffy. Right where we left her."|
|Willow: "Oh, God."|
|Xander: "In her coffin."|
|Xander: "Maybe they're on their way here. I mean, this place is NORAD when we're at DEFCON 1." (others give him odd looks) "Okay, I so need male friends."|
|Mag: "So, you got a witch in the mix."|
|Tara: "More than one."|
|Xander: "I happen to be a very powerful man-witch myself. Or... male... (looks at Willow) Is it a warlock?" (Willow nods) Warlock."|
|Xander: "Demons. Ah, well, there's something you don't see every day. Unless you're us."|