"A Stake to the Heart" is the seventeenth and final volume of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic trade paperbacks, collecting issues sixty to sixty-three of the comic book series.
Buffy Summers has faced vampires, demons, and monsters, but now she must face the scariest thing of all: the divorce of her parents. No vampire is safe as the tortured young Slayer takes her anger and frustrations to the streets of L.A., all the while being closely watched by the mysterious vampire with a soul, known as Angel.
In a failed attempt to alleviate her pain, Angel accidentally unleashes the Malignancy Demons upon her and her family, each of which personifies and draws its power from particular bad feelings.
- A Stake to the Heart, Act One: Deceit
- A Stake to the Heart, Act Two: Guilt
- A Stake to the Heart, Act Three: Abandonment
- A Stake to the Heart, Act Four: Trepidation
- Buffy Summers (4/4)
- Angel (4/4)
- Rupert Giles (4/4)
- Dawn Summers (4/4)
- Whistler (4/4)
- Joyce Summers (3/4)
- Hank Summers (3/4)
- Jesse McNally (3/4)
- Willow Rosenberg (2/4)
- Xander Harris (2/4)
- Allan Finch (1/4)
- Cordelia Chase (1/4)
- Harmony Kendall (1/4)
- Lilah Morgan (1/4)
- Richard Wilkins (1/4)
- Robert Flutie (1/4)
- Francesca (1/4)
Behind the scenes
- This is the third book of the Buffy: Year One trilogy, the last stories of Buffy the Vampire Slayer Classic, about Buffy as a Slayer before her arrival in Sunnydale.
- Editor Scott Allie declared about this title: "we entered into [the final part of the Year One storyline] knowing it was going to be the end of the monthly series. The TV show was ending, we'd just done a series in a mental institution ["Slayer, Interrupted"], and we all felt we were doing the best work the monthly had seen. Our disappointment with having the book end was reflected in the extremely dark storyline."
- French: "Un Pieu dans le Cœur" (A Stake in the Heart)
- Italian: "Un Paletto nel Cuore" (A Stake in the Heart)
- "A Stake to the Heart" was the 52nd best selling graphic novel in its publishing month, with 1,523 sales in April 2004 at comic specialty stores.